1. I've added vibraphonist/pianist Christian Tamburr to performer links: Though he makes his living primarily as a pianist (see his website itinerary), he is a vibraphonist! Just ask him. Or, catch him at Sharp Nine 10/19. He also has become part of Shana Tucker's band.
2. Annalisa & Zen Poets sounded great in Arcana's small room Thursday night: Hadn't seen them since their CD release gig. Nice mix of unfamiliar instrumental standards & Annalisa's originals.
3. I somehow missed Cuban Revolution closing: A person in my Guide To Local Jazz class told me. I have to admit it isn't a loss to me.
This Week: Right now it feels like a quiet week--for me--but that means opportunities for Usual Suspects.
- A nice day to wander from funk jazz at Golden Belt (12-3) to the West End Wine Bar's piano trio (4-6) to whatever music is at Durham's Goorsha (6-8).
- Saxophonist Shaquim Muldrow's quartet celebrates John Coltrane's birthday at Durham's Hayti Cultural Center 7:30p.
- Saxophonist Brian Horton's semi-regular residency at Durham's Kingfisher bar (next to the Durham Hotel) 9p. I plan to go check out who's playing with him & whether the bar is keen on jazz.
- Extravore--& renowned--jazz violinist Regina Carter @ NCSU's Center Stage 8p. I'll be there. I can't help myself.