Locavore Discovery: I'd seen guitarist Daniel DeLorenzo's name on a few gigs but hadn't heard him play. A friend sent this YouTube link--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgnIVEOFH80--to his latest self-produced CD. It sounds good enough for me to put a link to him on the Home Page & to keep an eye out for a live gig.
- Robert Griffin & Danny Grewen charm Imbibe 7p.
- Gregg Gelb's Second Line Stompers bring New Orleans to the Pittsboro Roadhouse 7L30p.
- Russell Favret plays at the Durham Hotel (call for time).
- Alison Weiner's usual duo at the Eddy Pub in Saxapahaw 7p.
- The North Carolina Jazz Repertory Orchestra (NCJRO) will probably sell out Sharp Nine 8p.
- Yeaux Katz keep's its crown as Carrboro's best jazz bar-band at Second Wind 7p.
- Sidecar Social Club does its bi-weekly Humble Pie thing 8:30p.
- Singer Amy Hancock & Tin Tuxedo play the Empress Room 9p.
- Jazz At the Mary Lou goes until the wee hours on the Duke West Campus 9:30p.
- That lively Durham Hotel Jazz Jam, led by Al Strong, 7p.
- Kobie Watkins has his CD release party at Durham Fruit & Produce 7p. I'll be there.
- Ira Wiggins makes a rare appearance at the Beyu 7 & 9p. If not for Kobie, I'd be there.
- Vocalist Katherine Whalen & pianist Robert Griffin explore the Songbook at Imbibe 8p.
- Pianist Elmer Gibson plays over talking-while-eating noise at Irregardless 6:30p.
- Elegant pianist Jonathan Markow plays against cocktail-infused talk at C Grace 9p.
- Ernest Turner plays to what I assume is a quieter crowd at Hillsborough's Panciuto Resturant 9p.
- Al Strong's quartet starts the evening outdoors at Raleigh's House of Hops 5p.
- Extravore bassist Iris Ornig joins local musicians at Sharp Nine 8p. Having seen her uniquely arrange Burt Bacharach tunes into great jazz a year ago, I'm coming back for more!
- Donovan Cheatham brings his quintet to Watts & Wards's Halloween bash--"Prohibition Is Over"--8:30p.
- Tea Cup Gin does its thing at Durham's Arcana 9p.