1. Forgot re 2019 to note that WNCU seems to have gotten over programming wobblies: In late summer the station started weaving in pallied soul music that did not fit the jazz vibe. In the last month or so the station has weaved in music that fits much better. Thanks, WNCU!
2. Raleigh's Irregardless restaurant has been sold: A bastion of jazz & other music, it's now owned by the head of Raleigh's Trophy Beer Company, whom Indy Week quoted saying only minor interior design will change. I hope so...
3. Triangle Youth Jazz Ensemble vocalist qualifiesfor national award: The Raleigh Philharmonic Association announced the high school junior is a National Young Arts Foundation finalist. Good luck to her, she's a very good singer.
4. The Chapel Hill Public Library is setting up an online stream for NC musicians: For more info: https://indyweek.com/culture/news/submit-your-music-to-chapel-hill-s-new-streaming-service/
This Week is my birthday week so I'm mulling more jazz than usual...
- The supremely eclectic guitarist/banjoist Eugene Chadbourne plays free-jazz legend Albert Ayler at Arcana 8p. With that combination, how could I not go?
- Griffanzo & Grewen at Imbibe 7p. Too fun to ignore in a birthday week.
- Atomic Rhythm All-Stars begin a four-week residency at Raleigh's Neptunes Parlour 8p, I'll catch their perfect 20s-30s style later in the month.
- Alison Weiner is joined by guitarist Scott Sawyer at the Eddy Pub 7p. Time to go to Saxapahaw for good music.
- Brian Horton does his Tuesday thing at the Kingfisher 9p. Worth staying up for.
- Vocalist Amy Hancock joined by pianist Ed Paolantonio, ballads enuse 7:30p. A birthday week treat.
- Al Strong's now-monthly jazz jam at Durham Hotel 7p. I'll stop in if I have energy after birthday dinner.
- Dave Finucane leads a sextet at Sharp Nine 8p. I'd go even if it wasn't birthday week for the rare taste of Dave's playing!
- Zen Poets at Irregardless 9p.
- Eugene Chadbourne takes on Satie at Arcana 8p. How could I not with another unique Chadbourne project?