1. The Fruit jazz series started fantastically with the 99 Brass Band: Wow, what energy Al Strong's brass band put out! More to come at the Fruit. See below.
2. Soul/jazz singer Yolanda Rabun is Nina Simone at UNC Playmakers Theater 8/21-25.
3. Brian Horton has a sorta every Tuesday residency at Durham's Kingfisher Bar 9p. Nice addition to local jazz.
4. You can miss a lot of music by going on a trip: I'll be gone 11 days & will miss much music. See below.
These Weeks: Everything below is in addition to Usual Suspects, believe it or not...
- The Fruit jazz series continues with Lynn Grissett's sextet honoring Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" 50th anniversary 7:30p. I'd be there if I was here.
- Kate McGarry & Keith Ganz & friends say goodbye (for now? forever?) at Sharp Nine 6 & 8p.
- Brian Horton continues his residency at Kingfisher 9p. Next week too.
- Yolanda Rabun's run as Nina Simone starts at the Playmakers Theater 7:30p.
- High school vocalist Emma Gonzalez joins Stephen Anderson at Irregardless 6:30p. I've seen her sing with the TYJE & would see her perform here if I was here.
- Al Strong's "experimental" soul/fusion band at Watts & Ward 8p. Al may now have more bands than Gregg Gelb. The more the merrier for us!
- Brian Horton plays Wayne Shorter at Sharp Nine 8p. Missing this one will hurt (even if we'll listen to Kate & Keith in NY).
- NCCU's annual "Give The Drummer Some" concert; five drummers, five combos, lotsa music 6p. And, a chance to donate to the Jazz Program!
- Annalise Stalls & Zen Poets continue The Fruit jazz series 7:30p. Annalisa--as she's called in show promos--is a killer saxophonist who doesn't look like killer until she plays.
- Pianist/educator Harry Pickens plays with UNC students/faculty at Moeser Auditorium 7:30p.
- Jim Ketch Swingtet at Sharp Nine 8p. Beware of a sell-out.
- The interesting combo of Al Strong, pianist Mark Wells, & bassist George Knott at Raleigh's Brasa Steakhouse 7:30p. Brasa's a great place to listen but does nothing to advertise its music...