1. The best music I heard this week was Zach Gossett's Za Um quintet: They brought the freshest, newest-sounding music I've heard lately to Sharp Nine Friday night. E.g., they shifted from "Abide With Me" to open directly to an upbeat version of "Ain't Misbehavin'" that reminded me of Jason Moran, followed a couple of tunes later with the recently released Ben Wendel's "October". All through that guitarist Logan Butler & saxophonist Shaquim Muldrow traded electric solos. Worth hearing again, soon...
2. Jazz comes to Mebane at Hyperion: Yup, this bar has jazz now. Check out the link on our Home page.
3. There's hope in this world--Kate McGarry & Keith Ganz are coming back: It was a shock when they moved to Oakland, but Kate's at The Fruit Monday 11/4; Keith's quartet is at Sharp Nine 11/15, & they've booked a February duo gig at S9.
This Week: Though some venues haven't scheduled yet, still plenty of choices.
- Lois Deloatch Gomes & Ernest Turner lead a Durham Central Park fundraiser at Durham's North Star Church of the Arts 4p.
- Shana Tucker sings, Brian Horton plays the famed Coltrane-Hartman recording tunes at the Fruit 7p. Probably at Do Not Miss.
- A rare appearance by the Jazzbeau quartet at Carrboro's 2nd Wind 7:30p.
- The NCJRO does its monthly thing at Sharp Nine 8p.
- Marimjazzia has its second CD release party (with a reception) at UNC's Stone Center 8p. The reception attracts me.
- Jonathan Markow & vocalist Amy Hancock turn the Empress Room into an intimate cabaret 7:30p. I'll be there because they have me hypnotized.
- Jim Ketch brings UNC combos & big band to Sharp Nine 8p.
- ODDCO--the Pittsboro funky interior design/art gallery/bar--presents GBO-based drummer Geoff Clapp plus extravore guitarist Charlie Hunter & saxist Petr Cancura 7:30p. Check realoddstuff.com & you'll see why I can't resist unfamiliar musicians in a funky venue.
- Fan fave Charlotte-based pianist Lovell Bradford's trio takes over Sharp Nine 8p.
- Welcome back Kate McGarry to NC as she accompanies Christian Tamburr's vibes quartet at The Fruit 7p. I love Kate. Where else would I be?!