1. It was InShanaT: Shana Tucker & her talented quintet sold out two shows at Sharp Nine Friday night, doing their version of the Cannonball Adderley/Nancy Wilson album from the '70s. A great show. She's got local August/September gigs so check her performer link on the Home page. You can't go wrong!
2. Pianist Christian Tamburr is really a vibraphonist: He helped Shana Tucker swing in the above gig & done other sideman gigs at S9 recently (in addition to Las Vegas musical director work). If he's as good a vibraphonist as he is a pianist, his 10/19 Sharp Nine gig should be lots of fun.
This Week: One for Usual Suspects & for my choices...
- Grewen & Griffin make local bar jazz magic at Imbibe 7p. I'll be there I have the energy after 3 nights out in a row & 2 more ahead...
- The NC Jazz Rep Orchestra (NCJRO) probably sells out Sharp Nine 8p. Haven't been there in too long for a big band blast.
- Jonathan Markow plays standard as fine as you could want (probably with chanteuse Amy Hancock) at the Empress Room 7:30p. Can't resist the piano-chanteuse combo!
- Drummer Thomas Taylor reprises new & recent CD tunes with a group including pianist Ernest Turner & saxist Annalist Stalls & a hip-hop performer at Sharp Nine 8p. Can't go anywhere else that night.