1. Scott Sawyer's CD fundraising is 92% funded, but--if you haven't given, give now at:
2. I just stumbled upon Raleigh's Neptunes Parlour's Resonancy series: When I saw drummer Jon Curry's name on the bill for Sunday at Neptunes, that led me to see the what I assume is a free improv percussion series there. Free jazz ain't everyone's cup of tea, but I'm curious to see what musicians like Jon will do beyond. eg., his jazz fusion work with Zoocru.
This Half Week: Friday's got a lot going on.
- Yeaux Katz build their Best Jazz Bar Band in Carrboro title at 2nd Wind 8p.
- The Peter Lamb Trio makes C Grace even more enjoyable 9p.
- The Andrew Berinson duo starts the evening at Sullivan's 5:30p.
- Veteran local pianist Elmer Gibson opens at Irregardless 6:30p.
- Vocalist Frankie Alexander brings quiet standards to Saxapahaw's Eddy Pub 7p.
- NYC-based tenor saxist Tim Armacost + three UNC jazz teachers = a fine quartet at Sharp Nine 8p.
- La Fiesta Latin Band, led by Gregg Gelb, at C Grace 9p.
- The Mac McLaughlin Group at Arcana 9p.
- Vocalist Kathy Gelb--of NCJRO fame--does a solo gig at the Empress Room 9p.
- Guitarist Devin Frazier's duo at Sullivan's 5:30p.
- The Peter Lamb Trio shifts to Brasa Steakhouse 7p.
- City Lights jazz (vocals, piano, bass) at Revival 1869 8p.
- Vocalist Lauren Meehan brings energized standards to C Grace 9p.
- It's Latin jazz Sunday at Durham's West End Wine Bar 4p.
- Drummer Jon Curry & percussionist Thom Nguyen experiment with improvisation at Raleigh's Neptunes Parlour 8:30p.