1. Eric Hirsh's wife going into labor routed me to a fine Durham Hotel jazz jam: I get to Arcana & Eric's understandably elsewhere, so I go to the Durham Hotel just as local musicians start showing up. I stayed for two hours. It was as good as a jazz jam should be. The most fun was watching drummer Jeremy "Bean" Clemons (see also below) work with soloists. The man knows how to listen!
2. "Los Itos" made half of my marvelous Saturday night: I knew from watching YouTube clips that percussionist Pedrito Martinez & his buddy Alfredito Rodriguez could be special--& you can too by watching--& they were Saturday evening at NCSU. I'd thought I'd had my highlight for the day until....
3. Ernest Turner played with "Bean" & bassist Kevin Beardsley at Sharp Nine Saturday night. I was ready for a standing ovation after two of the first three numbers (Ernest's "Return of Thanos" & then "Monk's Dream"). That's how good he/they were. Bean is the perfect complement to Ernest: listening, anticipating, accenting, & sometimes driving the bus himself.
This Week: Between Martinez/Rodriguez & Ernest/Bean, I'm worn out. This week could be lighter, but just for me. Ya'll can still track down Usual Suspects &/or try these...
- If you want some mellow music, go to Imbibe for a rare Tuesday night gig with vocalist Jennifer Lord & guitarist Rick Keena 7p. I'll be there.
- The Durham Hotel jazz jam is probably fusion/funk jazz 7p.
- UNCG-based tenor saxist Chad Eby brings in a talented quintet to Sharp Nine 8p. I'll be there.
- The interesting pairing of marimbist Juan Alamo & vibraphonist Steve Hobbs at Sharp Nine 8p.