- DISCOVERIES: I'm having trouble with bolding, underlining & italicizing. Apologies...
1. Eric Hirsh Trio at Arcana: Hadn't heard Eric in a while, nor been at Arcana. Eric played with fierceness of someone who hadn't played in a while & intro'd a few new tunes. He's moving on from his accumulated CD tunes towards fatherhood, less playing for a while, & then maybe a monthly gig.
2. Vimala's Curryblossom Café has Thursday jazz: A new venue for me. For now, while weather forbids outside music, guitarist Rick Keena holds down the gig. The playing space looks like a recording studio decorated with kitchen equipment, but the music is fine while eating down-home South Indian food.
3. Sharp Nine is back & has expanded its teaching rooms: It was packed for the Jason Foureman Quartet Friday, had sold many tickets for Saturday's La Fiesta gig, & now has more than doubled its teaching space. Jazz fans know where they can listen to consistently good music & where they can learn to play.
4. Hip contemporary drummer Makaya McCraven at Raleigh's Neptunes Parlour tonight: In this venue's Resonancy series, drummer demo their composition & creation skills, starting with innovative drummer Makaya McCraven. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS WILL BE BUT I PLAN TO GO.
--Pianist Noah Sager Trio at West End Wine Bar 4p.
--Vibraphonist Steve Hobbs at Durham's Goorsha Ethiopian Restaurant 6p.
--Extravore drummer Makaya McCraven at Raleigh's Neptunes Parlour 8:30.
--Al Strong leads the Durham Hotel Jazz Jam 7p. I SHOULD BE THERE.
--Stephen Anderson quartet at Sharp Nine 8p. I'LL BE THERE.
--Check Usual Suspect venues for more...
--Fine alto player Aaron Hill pairs with bassist Billie Feather at Irregardless 6p. I PLAN TO STOP IN BEFORE I GO TO...
--Guitarist James Gilmore at Sharp Nine 8p.
Saturday/Sunday: The Carrboro Django Reinhardt Festival at Carrboro's Cat's Cradle. Google that title for more info.