1. Ernest Turner is probably our best truly local pianist: Duh...
2. The Manifold Recording Studio is magnificent: I'd heard of this studio, but Gregg Gelb's La Fiesta Latin Band live recording took me there Tuesday night. Spent the first half with the sound engineer in the sound room, the second half listening live. Both forms of sound were great.
3. Snarky Puppy is marginally jazz: Based on the NCMA concert Saturday night.
This Week: Crazy with choices (especially if you like more than jazz)!
- NCCU grad soul/jazz singer Mavis "Swan" Poole joins the Brian Horton quintet at the Fruit 7:30p. I'll be there.
- Jonathan Markow & vocalist Amy Hancock do cabaret @ the Empress Room 7:30p. I'll be there.
- Peter Lamb & the Wolves bi-weekly Humble Pie gig 8:30p.
- Bassist Rick Bugel group @ C Grace 9p.
- Jazz At The Mary Lou 9:30p.
- Annalise Stalls/Zen Poets @ Arcana 8p. c
- Extravore trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire @ Duke's Rubinstein Arts Center 8p.
- Shana Tucker @ the Golden Belt 6p. I'll be there before catching West African music @ Central Park, energy allowing.
- Guitarist Devon Frazier duo @ Sullivans 5:30p.
- The Mac McLaughlin Group @ GpazzLive 8p. I'll be there energy allowing.
- Donovan Cheatham Trio @ Revival 1869 8p.
- Bassist Ron Brendle salutes other bassists @ Sharp Nine 8p.
- Angela Bingham @ the Empress Room 9p. Good singing.