Monday: Trombonist Danny Grewen & pianist Robert Griffin mix songbook standards with Griffanzo's smartass jazz. Lotsa fun 7p.
Tuesday: The North Carolina Jazz Repertory Orchestra (NCJRO) dominates its monthly spot at Sharp Nine 8p. Only 20 tix left as of this morning, probably leading to a sell-out.
- Pianist Ernest Turner soothes drinkers & snackers at Raleigh's Sullivan's Steakhouse 7p.
- The Sidecar Social Club band does its '30-40s bi-weekly thing at Humble Pie 8:30p.
- Guitarist Jimmy Gilmore leads his standards trio at C Grace 9p.
- I may hit all three as I'm already committed to hear Ernest T at Sullivan's. Why not?
- Meanwhile, back in Durham, Duke's Jazz At the Mary Lou does it jam session thing 9:30p.
Thursday: Pianist/vocalist Lydia Salett Dudley can be matched with any wine at Vinos Finos 6:30p; while Jimmy Gilmore shifts to totally improv jazz at Durham's Pinhook with three new musicians 8:30p.
- In Raleigh, organist Doug Largent holds forth at Irregardless 6:30p, while pianist Gary Brunotte does the same at Brasa Steakhouse 7p.
- In Durham, pianist Zach Gossett leads his octet at Sharp Nine 8p. I'll be there because I've heard Zach play his melodic, complex tunes twice before, so good that I have to come back!
- Led by percussionist Juan Alamo, Marimjazzia lives up to its name at Irregardless 9p.
- NYC-based, locally-rooted pianist Chris Pattishall is joined by locally-rooted saxophonist Stephen Riley at Sharp Nine 8p. I guess I could call this "roots music". Whatever, I'll be there because it'll be very good.
OK, more to come after I know more.