1. NCCU Jazz Ensemble chosen for national competition: They go to Jazz At Lincoln Center in January to compete versus the best of college/university big bands. Kudos to NCCU Jazz Studies!
2. The best music I heard last week was Shana Tucker & Brian Horton recreating Coltrane/Hartman: Shana had already done a sold-out Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley tribute; she repeated that feat at The Fruit Monday night with the assistance of saxist/flutist Brian Horton, pianist Christian Tamburr, bassist William Ledbetter, & drummer Kobie Watkins. It was a magical night!
3. Jazz in Pittsboro? Yup! The ODDCO art gallery has been hosting extravore 8-string guitarist Charlie Hunter, & I caught the third edition Saturday night. Heard a good set of 21st century soul jazz. They're stil figuring out what kinds of music they want to have, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
4. A few venue changes:
a) Golden Belt has finished their outdoor music gigs for now.
b) The Station has gotten back to a jazz residency: the Queen of Saxapahaw Jazz--Alison Weiner--leads a weekly jazz/spoken word gig on 1st & 3rd Wednesdays, starting this week.
c) Yeaux Katz--the best jazz bar band in Carrboro--returns to Carrrboro's 2nd Wind Thursday nights at 8p.
This Week: Plenty of choices!
- Sharp Nine Jazz Jam 4-6p.
- Grewen & Griffanzo bring joy to jazz at Imbibe 7p. I'd be there if it wasn't for...
- Vibraphonist Christian Tamburr brings vocalist Kate McGarry back to us at The Fruit 7:30p. I'd be at the above it I didn't want to hear these two together.
- Pianist/singer Alison Weiner at her weekly Eddy Pub gig 7p.
- The Second Line Stompers do trad jazz at C Grace 9p.
- Brian Horton lights up the Kingfisher bar 9.
- Alison Weiner starts the Choo-Choo-Anoo jazz/spoken word residency at Carrboro's 2nd Wind 7p. I'll check it out.
- The longest running jam Jazz At the Mary Lou does its thing 9:30p.
- All-purpose extravore pianist Barron Ryan at Durham's Trinity Avenue Presbyterian Church's fundraiser 8p.
- The Yeaux Katz return to Carrboro's 2nd Wind 8p. Where else would I be for Carrboro's best jazz bar band?
- For those that want good piano-playing with their food, Stephen Anderson is at Irregardless & Andrew Berinson at Sullivan's Steakhouse, both at 6:30p.
- Trumpeter Jim Ketch leads his Swingtet of younger players at Sharp Nine 8p. I'll be there.
- Saxist Noel Sherr w/ guitarist Scott Sawyer at Sharp Nine 8p.
- Vocalist Lauren Meehan at C Grace 9p.
- The Triangle Youth Jazz Band, Orchestra, & Ensemble at the Cary Arts Center 4p. The best youth jazz big bands, with fine vocalists.
- Fine pianist Ariel Pocock's trio at The Fruit 7:30p. I've watched her grow into a very good pianist over the last five years.