1. Brian Horton's Tuesday night gig at Kingfisher is worth taking in: Last week he played Coltrane, plenty of people were listening (even the bar crowd turned toward the music!), & local players showed up. All in all good signs for future gigs.
2. Hayti has started a bi-monthly celebratory jazz gig: Last week it was Shaquim Muldrow celebrating Coltrane's birthday; in November it's a Monk celebration, & more in January & March. I'll add Hayti to the venue list when I know more.
This Week: Time for Usual Suspects!
- Peter Lamb & the Wolves howl @ Humble Pie 8:30p.
- Soul singer Julia Nixon gets jazzy @ C Grace 9p.
- Jazz At the Mary Lou jam 9:30p.
- Al Strong jams @ the Durham Hotel 7p & plays C Grace 9p.
- Vocalist Dupresha Townsend duo @ Irregardless 6:30p.
- UNC faculty & guest artist saxist Ricardo Pascal @ Sharp 9 8p.
- Pianist Robert Griffin's trio @ C Grace 9p.
- Baltimore-based pianist Joshua Espinoza @ Sharp Nine 8p.
- UNC student jazz band (with Ricardo Pascal) @ Moeser Auditorium 8p.
- Brian Horton @ C Grace 9p.
- Zen Poets @ Irregardless 9p.
- Funk jazz jam @ Golden Belt 12p.
- Jazz jam @ Sharp Nine 4p.
- Noah Sager piano trio @ West End Wine Bar 4p.
- Formerly locavore vocalist Carol Sloane @ Clayton Arts Center 10/11 8p. I'll be there.
- Ernest Turner's quartet (w/ tenor saxist Stephen Riley) @ Sharp Nine 8p. I'll be there.