1. Kate McGarry, Keith Ganz, & pianist Gary Versace are having a great time before the Grammys: See Keith's link on the Home page for numerous photos, including the most practical red carpet garb possible.
2. Eric Hirsh starts a monthly residency at Arcana in Durham (pending birth of their first child): Check his link on the Home page for Thursday dates.
3. Hidden in plain sight: My friends pianist Jonathan Markow & (especially) guitarist Brad Maiani don't play that often, but you can catch their lovely playing online. Go to this to hear them as a duo: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hbzati7jdtcum6r/AACq47G19Fx6H-v_aMW_Gwava?dl=0
This Week has too many choices (way beyond Usual Suspects:
- The UNC, NCCU, & Duke jazz orchestras play their annual Valentine's concert at UNC's Moeser Auditorium 3p. I'll be there.
- Kate McGarry & Keith Ganz are joined by 6-time Grammy nominee Tierney Sutton & guitarist Serge Merlaud for a two-show musical double-date at Sharp Nine 7 (sold out) & 9p. I'll be there for this Do Not Miss show.
- The UNC Jazz Festival starts today, going through Saturday night. Checks the UNC Jazz Program link on the Home Page for details.
- Jonathan Markow plays the American Songbook for Val's Day at the Empress Room 7:30p. We'll be there.
- Fine extravore guitarist Peter Bernstein plays with equally fine Greensboro-based sidemen at Sharp Nine 7 & 9p.
- Ebullient extravore trumpeter Christian Scott brings trap jazz & other modern hybrids to UNC's Memorial Auditorium 8p.
- Excellent extravore saxist Chris Potter joins the John Brown-led Duke Jazz Orchestra at Baldwin Auditorium 8p.
- Saxist Chad Eby & singer Nishah DiMeo join forces at Greensboro's O'Henry Hotel 6:30p. Because DiMeo is such a fine singer I must both recommend this gig & go hear it.
- Vocalist Shana Turner sings (accompanied by guitarist Keith Ganz) at the Haw River Ballroom 7p. If I have any energy left, I'll be there.