1. Kate McGarry & Keith Ganz have started a fundraising campaign to finish the recording they've already made with NY-based pianist Gary Versace. The link is here. This is important stuff! Kate's a nationally known singer with many, many recordings, but the music industry now makes it hard for all but superstars to put out their music routinely. So supporting Kate & Keith & Gary helps keeps music you like alive.
2. As full this area is with good guitarists, I ran across another good one: James Gilmore, who led a trio at the Station Saturday afternoon. I'm adding him to my Home Page links.
- Tuesday night on the Durham Hotel roof 6-9p, drummer Donovan Cheatham promises "something different" with pianist Andrew Berinson & alto player Colin Williams. I didn't ask him what that meant; I can live with the ambiguity.
- Friday night: many choices, with Greensboro-based guitarist Greg Hyslop making a very rare local appearance at Sharp Nine 8p.
- Saturday night: more choices. That means I haven't decided where to go, but fine singer Jua is at the Shed 8p, &--for those that missed Keith Ganz with pianist Gabe Evans--the duo is at Brasa Saturday night 7p. They will be play some mellow music.